Thursday, March 5, 2009

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Mono Virus....


After several months of losing sleep at night over Joseph and his ever-falling white blood cell count we found out today that he had mononucleosis (kissing disease). Don't ask me who he kissed as a nine year old to get it but thanks a lot to whoever felt the need to share their yucky virus with my baby.
After considering the possibility of it being Hodgkins disease, Leukemia, or neutropenia (low wbc's) caused by his epilepsy medication... I am singing songs of praise that it is ONLY MONO.
We can hopefully wean him OFF his HORRIBLE new epilepsy medication that has turned my baby into Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde over the last couple of weeks, and return to our normal routine of just monitoring him for seizures.
Understand after a year like last year when one child is diagnosed with epilepsy, and the other a chromosomal abnormality that caused his death, MONO is a welcome reprieve. I will take MONO any day of the week over the other more joyous news we received last year.
Finding out Joseph had mono this morning totally made my day.
Shows you how warped your mind can become when you are so fearful of much worse diagnosis'.
This does not mean however, that you can all stop praying for us. My request from yesterday still stands, my elation over Joseph being diagnosed will subside, and my fears over Tuesday will again take hold. I will hold onto this feeling of relief for as long as possible though.

Love you all,
Jenn

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am so glad to hear it is only mono! Love you!